Thursday, May 7, 2009

Is Wil Wheaton a badass...?



You're sort of being wedged into a conversation I've been having with my brother. He wanted to know why I joined the Wil Wheaton fan page at facebook. I explained that Wil's keynote at Penny-Arcade Expo 2007 was eye opening. He has a lot to say about people my age and how we interact vis-a-vis gaming and fiction. He was also a welcome addition to the D&D 4e podcasts with the PA guys.
So Nick says, "so you'd have Wil on your badasses blog if he had a moustache?" In fact, Wheaton can be seen sporting some kind of all-over 5 o'clock shadow above (and his digital self on his blog includes said whiskers). But I'm not sure he qualifies as a badass. Entertaining? Yes. Clever? Surely. But I don't know that just being an entertainer is sufficient for badassery... So I'll let you decide:

Pros-
* Recurring character on ST:TNG
* Main character in Stand by Me (watched this a few months ago, Richard Dreyfus is really the weak link)
* Interesting keynote for PAX 2k7
* D&D 4e podcasts
* Tweets
* Blogs about being a compulsive autobiographer/parent/actor/invitee to ST:TNG related events/guest speaking at cons
* Writes a tech article for Suicide Girls... sorry, no link.
* This from his special screening of the new Star Trek movie

Cons-
* ST:TNG character annoying enough to earn moniker "Weasley Crusher"... let's face it, that's still huge points against.
* Hasn't really done much else professionally to warrant badass stamp and gaming as a hobby isn't really sufficient to qualify
* And then there's this (EDIT: to add that the wife and I just saw the new Star Trek and, well, his expression is valid- still geeked out, though :) )

It's up to you, faithful reader.... review the evidence and vote accordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment